Monday 7 September 2015

Thing 9: Video

Trials in Screencasting


This Thing is one I approached with definite trepidation.

All the previous Things had been a little bit familiar to me and it was great just being able to build on your knowledge of what they are capable of doing and thinking of ways that they could potentially be incorporated into a library setting.

However, Thing 9 proved to be a bit of trial for me. I was definitely outside my comfort  zone with this one. Despite looking at lots of screen casts on YouTube, I had never really thought about the mechanics of making them.  

I spent loads of time trying to get Screencast-o-Matic to load on my PC to no avail. Very frustrating and I still don’t know if it was me or the software or a firewall or something else.
I then decided that if I was ever going to get this Thing finished, I would move onto plan B and use Jing.  I got that downloaded and completed a recording but then couldn’t load the result into YouTube.  All in all, very frustrating and time consuming.

I then went back to Screencast-o-Matic and tried downloading onto a different PC. I got it successfully downloaded this time and completed a recording.  Unfortunately, due to not having a mic, I was not able to add sound to my recording but I did add in some music from YouTube.
   
Despite all the frustrations of getting the screen capture program to work, they will be extremely useful to use as part of an information training program, showing students how to use library resources. 


Here is my first attempt at a screencast!





No comments:

Post a Comment