Thursday 10 September 2015

Thing 12: Attending Conferences

Networking and Learning

The last conference that I attended was the Academic and Special Libraries Conference held last February in Dublin. The theme of the conference was inspiration, collaboration and transformation.

I was only able to attend the conference on the second day but nevertheless found the experience both enjoyable and valuable in terms of learning about some of the thinking currently going on in the library world and some of the different collaborations that have taken place between libraries and other departments in their universities or institutions.

In terms of the practicalities of being able to go to the conference, we were alerted about the upcoming AS&L conference and expressions of interest in attending were sought.  Then, it just came down to the practicalities of how many wanted to go, on what days and the need to keep our own library staffed as well.  The fact that my library is only an hour from Dublin makes it straightforward to go for the day.  We have a budget for Staff Training and Development and all conferences and away days are funded out of that.

At the conference, I met a mixture of new people and old.  As everyone has said, most people working in libraries are enthusiastic and friendly and make it easy to drop into conversations.

I like to get meet people that I have worked with before just to have a quick catch up but it is also nice to get to meet people for the first time.  At the conference, I was amazed at all the different special libraries that are staffed.  Because, I have worked for a long time in academic libraries, I forget that there are libraries in so many companies and government departments and other organisations.

I didn’t really approach the conference as a networking opportunity and maybe this is what I should change in hindsight.  While I spoke to lots of different people, I didn’t take down their names or formalise contact with them by swapping information. Do people do that?

I totally agree about the need to make notes on conferences.  I always find most of the talks so interesting but never make detailed notes at the time and then you forgot the substance of what they were about.

The next conference I attend, I will definitely keep try to keep better notes and be more mindful of the people that I talk to.

No comments:

Post a Comment