Monday 17 August 2015

Thing 5: Online Networks


Tweet, Tweet, Tweet

Using my own personal social network accounts in a professional way to network with colleagues is not something I have done up to now.  I never realised quite how much active library discussion, sharing and shaping was been conducted over social media platforms. It is a great way to network and share ideas both nationally and internationally. I had not been aware of the lists on Twitter before now so will have to spend some time looking at them and deciding which ones to join.


Facebook is not a platform I use but I am a big fan of Twitter and really love the immediacy of it, seeing what the trends are on any given day, following the hashtags that are of interest to me and following people and groups that I find interesting.

The great thing about Twitter from a corporate point of view is that it you can really shape your online presence and show a different side to your organisation. Be informative but also fun, friendly and approachable and hopefully followers will respond to that.

Some Irish institutions have really used their Twitter feeds to show their human side. Organisations like An Garda Siochana and Aer Rianta use their accounts to disseminate information but they also have a little fun as well.

I love using Twitter in a personal capacity but I think to use it professionally, I would have to set up a separate account and look at the ramifications of that.  What other library professionals might find interesting would not be so appreciated by family and friends and vice versa. Reading through some of the blogs, that seems to be an issue lots of people have and there are lots of multiple twitter account holders and tweeters out there.
The lists facility on Twitter was not something I was aware of so I will have to spend some time looking at them and deciding which ones to join.

I don’t know too much about Tweetdeck but will look into that as a way of managing multiple twitter accounts.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment