Tuesday 27 October 2015

Thing 19: The Legal Side of Things



Legally Blonde...

A very interesting and informative blog which gave a great synopsis of the issues surrounding copyright and the ever evolving challenges facing legislators and producers and users of content. 
  
Although from working in libraries I was aware of the issues surrounding the copyright of printed material, I had not given much thought to copyright as it relates to images and photographs.  I haven’t used many images in my blog posts, mainly because of the difficulty of getting them to work.  At the time, that was very frustrating buy maybe on reflection, it’s been a good thing as I haven’t been unknowingly infringing on the creators rights. I realise I simply do not know enough about how to attribute correctly and would have been wary of doing using too many images or graphics.  The onus is on me though to go and properly inform myself and the RudaĆ­ blog has given me some great places to start. 

The whole area of intellectual property rights is another area that I need to learn more about.  We sign away all kinds of things in contracts without thinking how they could apply in real world situations.  While understandable that an employer would have intellectual ownership of content created during work, it’s easy to see all kinds of grey areas and potential problems that could arise.

Again, knowing your rights and also your responsibilities is paramount.  As they say, ignorance is no defence.    Sharing content is great to but you do need to think about making sure your your own contributions are acknowledged.   

Hope I have attributed my image below correctly.  I will need to work like that little bee to get up to speed on copyright issues. 





Image Courtesy of Pixabay



No comments:

Post a Comment